This is not a jam - most jams have at least the same amount of sugar as they do fruit. This, by contrast, is a savoury compote, thanks to the fragrant spices and fennel. We suggest you try this one on a cheese board, savoury scones, or some thick, plain yogurt. You can also add it to a favourite salad, for an added punch!
- 12 cups of diced strawberries
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 cups finely diced fennel
- 3 tbsp. fennel seed
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup pernod
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. salt
- Place 8 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
- De-stem, wash and dice the strawberries to desired size. Macerate the strawberries with the sugar and let sit either overnight in the fridge or on the counter for at least 1 hour. Drain the juice from the strawberries into the pot. Peel and finely dice the fennel. Lightly crush the fennel seed and grind the black pepper. and add the fennel, fennel seed, black pepper, pernod and lemon juice. Stir, bring to a boil, cover, and boil 10 minutes. Add all the strawberries and salt. Stir, bring back to a boil and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and skimming any foam that rises to the surface.
- Quickly ladle hot mixture into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more jam. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jam.
- When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process – boil filled jars – 10 minutes.
- When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
- After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
Yield: 8 x 250 ml