Yield: Makes about 8 x 500 ml
Prep Time: 24 hours
Processing Time: 10 Minutes
Use sweet green, red or orange peppers, banana peppers, Hungarian peppers or Italian peppers in this recipe. Jalapeño peppers give a distinctive accent. For mild pickled peppers, omit jalapeños; for hotter pickles increase the number of jalapeños per jar
- 1 - 4 qt (4 L) basket peppers
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) pickling salt
- 10 cups (2500 ml) white vinegar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) prepared horseradish
- 2 cloves garlic
• Wash peppers thoroughly; drain. Cut two small slits in each pepper and place in a large stainless steel or glass container. Dissolve salt in 16 cups (4000 ml) water; pour over peppers and let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place.
• Place 8 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Drain peppers; rinse in cool running water and drain thoroughly.
• In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine 2 cups (500 ml) water with vinegar, sugar, horseradish and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and boil gently uncovered, 15 minutes. Remove garlic cloves.
• Pack peppers into a hot jar to within 3/4 inch (2 cm) of top of jar. Add hot vinegar mixture to cover peppers to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more peppers and hot vinegar mixture. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining peppers and hot vinegar mixture.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 15 minutes.
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place.
For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.