Yield: Makes about 4 to 6 x 250 ml jars (depending on chosen sweetener)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Processing Time: 10 Minutes
No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin lets you control the type and/or quantity of sweetener in fruit spreads. Make fruit spreads with no added sweetener, sugar replacements like SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, or small quantities of granulated sugar. Follow directions carefully!
4 cups (1000 ml) peeled, pitted and crushed peaches
1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened apple or white grape juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
1 pkg (49 g) BERNARDIN® No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
Sweetener – if using:
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) granulated sugar
• Place 4 clean 250 or 236 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside; heat lids in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and lids hot until ready to use.
• Blanch, peel and pit peaches. Crush peaches one layer at a time. Measure crushed peaches, fruit and lemon juices into a large, deep stainless steel saucepan. Whisk in No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin until dissolved.
• If using sweetener, measure SPLENDA® or sugar and set aside.
• Stirring constantly, bring fruit mixture to a boil over high heat.
o If using, add sweetener (sugar or SPLENDA®) and return mixture to a boil.
o Stirring frequently, boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Skim foam.
• Quickly ladle jam into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if required by adding more jelly. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot lid on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jam.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least 1” water. Cover canner and bring water to a full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 10 minutes.
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid; wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting. Cool upright on a protected work surface; leave undisturbed for 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within 1 year.
NOTES & TIPS
• If using an artificial sweetener other than SPLENDA®, adjust quantity to sweetener you are using and stir sweetener into mixture immediately after completion of boiling before filling jars.
• Sugar – Adjust sugar level to desired sweetness, staying within a 1 to 3 cups (250 to 750 ml) range.
To reduce foaming, add 1/4 tsp (1 ml) margarine or butter to fruit mixture before cooking. Sugar-free and low sugar jams do not bubble and boil up as high into the pan as do regular, full sugar preserves. The mixture should, however, bubble constantly while being stirred for the full 3 minutes.