Yield: Makes about 8 x 500 ml
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Processing Time: 15 Minutes
Nothing easier than to transform the fresh produce of the kitchen garden into salsas using the salsa mixture from Bernardin. Ideal for the amateurs in the domestic preserve setting, either beginners or senior, this mixture reduces the number of ingredients necessary as well as the cooking and make-ready time. They are very popular when you have a great number of guests.
8 lbs fresh tomatoes, finely chopped to yield 18 cups
¾ cup vinegar (5% acidity)
1 full container of Bernardin Fiesta Salsa Mix (189 g, 6.7 oz)
• Place 8 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Chop & measure tomatoes; combine in a large, deep stainless steel saucepan the tomatoes, vinegar and the Bernardin Fiesta Salsa mix. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
• Ladle hot salsa into a hot 500 ml mason jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more salsa. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining salsa.
• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars 500 ml jars 35 minutes*.
• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
NOTES & TIPS
• TIP: if you wish to have a thicker chunkier salsa, reduce salsa to a simmer for about 10 to 15 min or until desired thickness.
Quick Tip: To make the salsa hotter, add hot pepper flakes or hot sauce to taste.