As the weather warms up, get into the season with this delicious salsa!
Yield: Makes about 6 x 500 ml jars
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Processing Time: 15 Minutes
- 12 cups (3000 ml) coarsely chopped tomatoes, about 6 lb (2.7kg), 20 medium
- 8 cups (2000 ml) whole kernel corn, about 2.5 lb (1 kg) or 10 medium ears
- 1 cup (250 ml) Fiesta Salsa Mix
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) cider vinegar
- Place 6 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
- Wash, seed and coarsely chop tomatoes; drain off excess liquid. Measure 12 cups (3000 ml). If using fresh corn, blanch ears in boiling water 1 minute before cutting kernels off. Measure 8 cups (2000 ml).
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar and the Fiesta Salsa Mix. Add tomatoes and corn; mix well. Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer stirring constantly, just until mixture is heated through.
- SHELF-STABLE: Ladle hot salsa into a hot 500 ml mason jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more salsa. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing discs on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining salsa.
- When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 20 minutes.*
- When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
- After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
- Makes about 5 to 6 x 500 ml jars. For a thicker salsa, cook until desired consistency.
Tip: If you prefer a spicier salsa, add 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 ml) red pepper flakes, or 1/2 to 1 tsp (2 to 5 ml) hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper to recipe.