Yield: Makes about 2 x 500 ml or 1 x 1L jar(s).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Processing Time: 120 Minutes
This ready-to-heat and serve main dish is handy for last minute meals. The beef steak is preserved in a rich wine sauce to make an extra delicious meal.
- 2 lb (1 kg) round steak, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded apples, about 1 large
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded carrots, about 1/2 large
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sliced onion, about 1/2 large
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry red wine
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) browning & seasoning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet), optional
- Brown meat in vegetable oil. Add apple, carrot, onion, 1/2 cup (250 ml) water, wine, salt, garlic, bouillon cubes and bay leaves. Boil gently 1 hour. Remove bay leaves.
- Place 2 clean 500 ml or 1 clean 1 L mason jars on rack in pressure canner; add water and heat jars to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside; heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
- Add browning and seasoning sauce, if using.
- Pack beef and sauce into a hot jar to within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of top rim (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining beef and sauce.
- When canner is full, adjust water to level as directed by canner manufacturer. Lock canner lid in place and follow manufacturer’s heating instructions. Vent canner–allow steam to escape steadily–for 10 minutes; close vent.
- When canner reaches the pressure appropriate for your altitude* and type of pressure canner, begin counting processing time. Process – heat filled jars – for time indicated:
- 500 ml = 75 minutes
- 1 L = 90 minutes
- When processing time is complete turn off heat. Allow canner to stand undisturbed until pressure drops to zero. Wait 2 minutes, and then remove cover, tilting it away from yourself. Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store in a cool, dark place.