Yield: Makes about 6 x 500 ml or 3 x 1 L
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Processing Time: 75 Minutes
Home made pork ‘n beans are easy to make with extra delicious results. When filling the jars, be sure to leave 1 inch (2.5 cm) headspace to allow for expansion of the beans during processing.
- 4 cups (1000 ml) dried navy beans, about 2 lb/1 kg
- 4 cups (1000 ml) tomato juice
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped onion, about 1 medium
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) allspice
- 1/4 lb (125 g) salt pork, cut into equal pieces
• Cover beans with cold water; let stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place.
• Place 6 clean 500 ml or 3 clean 1 L mason jars on rack in pressure canner; add water and heat jars to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside; heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
• Drain beans; cover with boiling water by 2 inches (5 cm); boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes; drain. Combine tomato juice, onion, sugar, salt and spices; heat to boiling.
• Pack 1 cup (250 ml) beans into a hot jar. Top with a piece of pork; fill jar 3/4 full with beans. Ladle hot tomato sauce to cover beans to within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of top rim (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining beans, pork and sauce.
• When canner is full, adjust water to level as directed by canner manufacturer. Lock canner lid in place and follow manufacturer’s heating instructions. Vent canner–allow steam to escape steadily–for 10 minutes; close vent.
• When canner reaches the pressure appropriate for your altitude* and type of pressure canner, begin counting processing time. Process – heat filled jars – for time indicated:
Jar Size Time
500 ml 65 minutes
1 L 75 minutes
• When processing time is complete turn off heat. Allow canner to stand undisturbed until pressure drops to zero. Wait 2 minutes, then remove cover, tilting it away from yourself. Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store in a cool, dark place.