Yield: Makes about 5 or 6 x 250 ml jars
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Processing Time: 10 Minutes
- 4 cups (1000 ml) finely chopped apples, about 5 medium
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 1 pouch (85 ml) BERNARDIN® Liquid Pectin
- 5 cups (1250 ml) granulated sugar
- Place 5 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
- Wash, peel, core and finely chop apples. Measure 4 cups (1000 ml) into a stainless steel saucepan. Combine with 1 cup (250 ml) water and simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Crush thoroughly.
- In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, measure 4 cups (1000 ml) cooked apple mixture. Add lemon juice, all of the sugar and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) butter or margarine (to reduce foaming). Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Add BERNARDIN® liquid pectin, squeezing entire contents from pouch. Return to boil; boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more jam. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jam.
- When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process – boil filled jars – 10 minutes.
- When processing time is complete, turn stove off, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
- After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.