Yield: Makes about 6 x 250 ml jars
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Processing Time: 10 Minutes
This Italian-style vegetable relish has all the delicious flavour of commercial antipasto. It uses a high acid ingredient combination that can be processed safely in a boiling water canner.
- 6 cups (1500ml) prepared tomatoes, 7-8 medium
- 3 sweet peppers (1 red; 1 green; 1 yellow), chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups (425 ml) white vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) pickling salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried oregano
- 7 whole peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- Place 6 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
- Blanch, peel and coarsely chop tomatoes. Measure 6 cups (1500 ml); set aside.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and oregano in a large stainless steel; saucepan. Tie peppercorns and bay leaves in a large square of cheesecloth, creating a spice bag. Add spice bag to saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in tomatoes, peppers, carrots, celery, and onion. Boil gently, stirring frequently, 1 hour. Discard spice bag.
- Ladle relish into a hot jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more relish. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining relish.
- When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 10 minutes.*
- When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
- After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.